Statistics reveal that over 50% of cases of cancer are caused by lifestyle, and the most important lifestyle factor that can lead to cancer is the food and drink people consume regularly. Here are some of the top cancer-causing foods that should be avoided:
- Genetically Modified Foods (GMOs). This is a rapidly growing industry and it affects a range of foods that people consume regularly. Thousands of products have a GMO listing on the label. People should read food labels and look for the “GMO-free labels” before buying their food.
- Grilled meats may be delicious but, when cooked, these foods (particularly processed foods such as hot dogs, etc.,) release carcinogenic, heterocyclic aromatic amines. If the food is “well done,” the molecular and chemical structure of that meat is changed.
- Farmed fish. About 60% of salmon is farmed, being treated and fed with pesticides, antibiotics, mercury, dioxins and various other carcinogenic chemicals. Their diet also reduces the amount of omega-3 that’s supposed to be in fish, so people don’t get the high amount they think they are getting.
- Refined white flour is a common processed food ingredient. However, recent studies show that the utilization of refined carbohydrates boosts the risk of breast tumors by 220%. Other high glycemic foods are also dangerous, since they increase the amount of glucose in a person’s body, and this boosts the spread and growth of cancer cells.
- Refined sugars can cause insulin spikes, and this may increase the growth of tumorous cells. Cakes, cereals, cookies, biscuits, candies, pies, sauces and other similar foods contain high fructose corn syrup and/or many other refined sugars, all of which increase the risk of getting cancer.
- Sodas and carbonated drinks are full of sugars (including high fructose corn syrup), dyes, aspartame, colorings and chemicals. These ingredients all provide nutrition to cancerous cells and ferment the body, whist providing no nutrients at all.
- Smoked, pickled and salted foods contain preservatives, including nitrates, which give them a longer shelf life. These additives accumulate in the body and can eventually cause damage to cells, eventually leading to cancer. Smoked foods are cooked at high temperatures, and then the nitrates turn into nitrites, which are even more dangerous.
- Canned foods. The cans in which processed foods are placed in are lined with chemicals so they seem appealing and fresh. However, these same chemicals can cause cancer. People must read food labels and choose cans with no preservatives or chemicals in the cans’ linings.
- Fruit. Organic fruit is the best choice. Non-organic fruit is generally contaminated with various harmful pesticides and fertilizers. Few people are aware of this, but even sewage can be sometimes used to fertilize fields in the United States. Atrazine is a pesticide banned in Europe, but it is used in the U.S. It’s a weed killer and is also associated with severe health issues including cancer, reproductive capabilities and other problems. Normal fruit is also subjected to hormones and chemicals to make it bigger. About 98% of apples have harmful pesticides and chemicals. Grapes, strawberries and oranges are sitting at 90%. And even by washing the fruit, you won’t be able to eliminate all of the pesticides.
If this list will make you think before you buy, it will definitely help reduce the incidence of cancer and many other health problems.