Anybody who has ever had a migraine will tell you they’re certainly not fun. In fact, they are much worse than a headache and can affect people in different ways. Fortunately, there are many ways to prevent migraines from occurring if you suffer from them yourself.
These are some of the many possible symptoms of migraines:
- Severe, throbbing pain in your temples, back of the head and behind your eyes. Sometimes the pain will only strike one side of your head.
- Pins and needles in your face, head, neck, hand, shoulder, arm or hand. The feeling can move up and down or stay in one place.
- Bad coordination and poor balance.
- Vertigo or dizziness.
- A visual aura that can be zigzag lines, blind spots or double vision.
- Slurred speech.
- Trouble talking clearly.
- Vomiting and nausea.
- Numbness, often on one side of your face / head and it can move down your arm to your hand.
- Weakness and paralysis down one side.
- Hypersensitivity to sound, light and smell.
- Reduced consciousness, or even a coma.
The obvious way to prevent or fix a migraine is with medication. These include painkillers, anti-seizure medications and even antidepressants in some cases. However, since there are so many options, you should always consult your doctor before taking them.
It is important to understand why you get migraines. If you do so, you can try to avoid getting them by not doing, eating or drinking whatever triggers your migraines. However, sometimes you just won’t know what causes your migraine, so you will not be able to prepare for it.
Pain specialists can monitor you in a hospital, on a medication regime designed to help cure you of migraines. They use various medications and, after a week or so, you will often times be cured. If you get a lot of migraines, this is an option that you may want to consider.
Non-steroidal medications that have anti-inflammatory properties can help stop migraines as well, but they may not help prevent them, so you will probably need more than one option. You need to take preventers and relievers when you get a migraine, as they can hit without warning.
Sometimes the only way to get rid of a migraine, apart from medication, is to make your bedroom as dark and quiet as possible, and try to sleep it off. That helps minimize the light, sound and smell issues, helping your body relax, so the migraine can dissipate. This method will help most of the time, but it’s not always possible to do so if you are not at home, or somewhere where you can sleep it off.
If you get migraines, talk to your doctor and get his advice, so you can start combating their unpleasant symptoms. This way, you will slowly but surely develop an effective treatment plan for handling migraines whenever you get them, so you will be able to regain control.